My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Enjoy my blogs!!!! Go visit my "business" website at www.angelswink.biz or www.pauloclemente.com

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Lola Fely






It was my Lola Fely's Birthday last January 20, 2008. She was born in 1919 and she would have been 89 years old on this day. She was born Felisa Tanguilig Fernandez, originally from Manaoag, Pangasinan but relocated to Binmaley, Pangasinan where she eventually married a dashing soon-to-be lawyer Bonifacio T. Doria.
She gave birth to eight beautiful children. My Mom, Nancy (short for Anunciacion Fernandez Doria) is the eldest. All her children are beautiful, her daughters are pretty. Her fourth child, Vida Valentina Fernandez Doria ( now Legaspi) even became Miss Philippines and Ms. Photogenic in the 1971 Miss Universe. Lola's claim is that she is the original, thus, the most beautiful of all hahahahaha!

I was in Davao for a wedding and left the city at 7:00 am and went straight to Tagaytay from the airport. I may not have attended the family gathering but I know fully well she perfectly understood.

Lola Fely left us November 10 of 2005 which means this year is her second death anniversary.

It was not a very hurting feeling when she left us. The feeling was more of happiness and glory that she was finally joining the Lord. She knew very very well her time was running short and there was nary a trace of blues but a feeling of peace, tranquility and of preparedness.

Photos: left, Lola Fely in her midlife. Right, blushing "bride" on their Golden Anniversary.

I guess things go like that when someone has lived a full life. No excuses, no if's and buts. Her favorite song was "My Way" and only she could let me sing it "mucho con gusto". She actually sang very well and I must have gotten the vocal talent from her and my other grandma Lola Nene or Victoria Noche Clemente, my Dad's mom who hails from Looc, Romblon but whose roots is actually from Taal, Batangas (they left this town in 1850s while my Grandpa Andres Clemente was from Masbate but whose roots is traced in Mexico, not the city but the country. But this is another story altogether).

Lola Fely was not a perfect human being but she lived the best way she possibly could. In fact I remember kneeling with books on my arms when I was a kid - remember Will Devaughn in Bahay ni Kuya? This was when we (my brothers and sisters) drove our bikes to go to Bobot Mortiz's house in nearby Sanville Village instead of taking our afternoon nap. It was rumored Vilma Santos was going to his house. Wait, remember this was in early 70's and I must have been about 8 years old!

left: photo of Lola Fely when she was crowned queen in a town fiesta in Pangasinan. Right: Lola Fely's studio photo when she finished highschool. Right-click for larger view.

Oh I vividly remember her shrieking voice whenever she gets mad. She screamed worse than a an emergency siren and you better just wait until she's done or else. But she had very good reasons for such tantrums. Besides, she is an angel when she is her usual self.

Being a public school principal, she valued education so much and she was even able to send to school some boys who took care of Lolo Paciong, her Mi Amor for life.

In her house where we once lived, there must have been a dozen cats and moreso during Christmas season. I still wonder to this day why those grown cats (who had left and went on their own) pay homage to her by staying a few days during Christmas! She was fond of bringing home those thrown kittens and give them home. Yes, I have grown accustomed to appreciate the smell of cat's ehem, I will never puke at all, promise. Thanks to her!

From Lola Fely, I learned the value of living your life to the fullest of what you can possibly achieve... without twisting anyone's leg.

That success is relative. You are successful based on your own leverage. And standing tall with confident eyes that you did not use anyone if only to achieve your goals.

And that we all have our own destinies and we simply go for it as if we were boats in a big ocean.

I also learned from her to fight for what i believe is right and stick to my own principles.

Perhaps what matters in the end is how ready you are to face God.

And that there would be no need to beg him for forgiveness to be able to join Him in Heaven. I am very sure we will be meeting again in God's time. I don't know when but it better NOT be soon. I need another twenty years or so. I am still dreaming of going to Las Vegas and sing there when I am 45 years old. hahaahahhahaha!

I love you Lola Fely!
Photo above: left, Lolo Paciong and Lola Fely, twilight years, together forever. Right, celebrating Lola's birthday. She was already blind due to old age.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home